December 31, 2012

Belacan Cake (Sarawak Cake)


Recipe adapted from Dapurku Sayang




BAD NEWS!! Guess what? My oven has spoiled! I found out today when I was baking my crescent almond cookies. The bottom part of the cookies were burnt but the top still remain same in it's original colour, which is white. -.- No wonder few days ago when I was roasting my chicken, the skin won't turn brown...but still remains original colour. That's funny lol.  

Even thought I can't bake...but I will not give up easily. (My hand is very itchy right now!!) I still got a few steam cake recipes on my hand now. Yeaaah it's Belacan Cake/Serikaya Cake/Sarawak Cake. In Malay they named it ‘BELACAN’ cake because it really looks like a piece of belacan, which is the dried fermented shrimp paste. I wanted to try this recipe for a long time already and now finally! 

I love this cake very much. They are served the best after taken out from the fridge. This cake is so moist and so soft but dense in texture...and when I first bite on this cake, I thought it's prune cake. hahaha I am so noob. This is because prune is black colour and this cake is black colour too. How silly am I. LOL!


INGREDIENTS:
16oz butter/margarine
10 eggs
1 cup castor sugar(I used half cup only.)
1 small tin sweetened condensed milk
1 small tin serikaya
1 small tin nestle cream
1 small packet Horlicks
2 cups all purpose flour(Always sift it.)
Suitable of browning sugar(To adjust the darkness of the cake.)
1 teaspoon coffee powder(Mix with a little bit of hot water.)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

METHOD:
1. Grease the baking pan with oil and get the water to boil.
2. Beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
3. Beat in eggs, one by one, until well combined.
4. Beat in sweetened condensed milk, serikaya, and vanilla essence and nestle cream until well mixed.
5. Stir in Horlicks, cocoa powder and coffee until well combined.
6. Fold in flour and lastly browning sugar.
7. Pour batter into prepared tin. Cover the top loosely with a piece of aluminium foil.
8. Steam over high heat for 10 minutes. Turn heat down to medium and steam for another 3 hours 50 minutes, or until cooked (may steam for up to 4 hours in total if desired, this according to wisdom allows the cake to be kept for up to a month and make it moist). Remember to replenish steamer with hot water whenever it is drying up.




Reactions:

0 Voices:

Post a Comment

    Followers

    Text Widget

    Powered by Blogger.