April 29, 2013

Earl Grey Chiffon Cake (伯爵茶戚风蛋糕)

It's my very first time making chiffon cake.

I have a fear of making them because I hear a lot of peoples saying chiffon cake is very hard to make. So, even though I bake for quite a long time already, I still do not dare to do it. 


And, my mistake also. I should not judge it by looking at the photos. Chiffon cake looks dry and looks hard to swallow. And for sure it never will appear on my waiting list.

All of a sudden, few days ago I got a feeling to bake them. So, I went to google and ask my lecturer for information. My lecturer can make delicious chiffon. That's what I heard from my colleague. Even though I never try it but I believe in her!! Wonder why she so good in making chiffon? Cause she failed lots of time before and now she is an expert on it already. She keep telling me never ever grease the pan. WOW if I din't ask her, I definitely will grease the pan. Luckily! :D Thank you lecturer Agnes!


This is a very good recipe. A keeper. I can't believe I was successful in making chiffon cake, feel so proud of myself! NO, chiffon cake is NOT dry, NOT hard to swallow, NOT hard to do. It's very easy to do once you know the TECHNIQUE!!! Chiffon cake = Skillful cake!! 

With Earl grey in the chiffon, it taste so amazing. The texture are soft and fluffy, moist and tender! and juicy? HAHA just kidding! Once you put the cake into your mouth, you can feel it melt in your mouth. mmm yummy!! So, do you want to bake yourself a chiffon cake now? ^_^v


INGREDIENTS: (Fills a 20cm tube pan)
Adapted from Honey Bee Sweets

EGG YOLK BATTER:
6 Egg yolks
30g Caster sugar
½ Tsp salt
80ml Vegetable oil
3 Tbsp Earl Grey tea leaves OR 3 sachets Earl Grey tea
180ml Water
120g Top flour/Cake flour
2/3 Tsp baking powder

EGG WHITE BATTER:
6 Egg whites
90g Caster sugar

METHOD:
1. In a heat proof saucepan, place 180ml water and the tea leaves/sachets in. heat up till almost boiling. Off the fire and let the tea soak for 5-10 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 170 Celsius.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat up the egg yolks and 30g caster sugar till it is slightly thickens. About 5 minutes.
4. Slowly drizzle in the vegetable oil and continue to beat till well incorporated.
5. Then pour in 100ml of the brewed tea(cooled) and continue to mix till all combined and smooth. Then add in 2 sachets of Earl Grey tea grain/3 Tbsp soaked tea leaves into the mixture, stir well.
6. Lastly, add in salt. Sift in the flour and baking powder, then mix well till no visible lumps.
7. In another large mixing bowl, beat the egg white till foamy. Then gradually add in the rest of 90g caster sugar and beat till stiff peaks. In high speed.
8.Gently fold in the whites to the flour mixture in 3 separate portions, making sure it is well combined. Then pour the batter into the tube pan. Give the pan a light tab on the base to push up the bubbles. Or you can use a chop stick and lightly swirl in the pan to remove bubbles.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes till tester comes out clean.

TIPS for making Chiffon Cake:
1. Make sure your beater and bowl are clean(NO OIL NO WATER). Egg whites will not stiffen if they meet those 2 elements.
2. Never grease your tube pan. Else the cake cannot climb up.
3. Once the cake come out from oven, immediately overturn to cool completely, at least 2 hours. You may use the narrow necked bottle but ensure that it's stable enough to support the weight of the cake. (I can't find any at home so I just let it overturn on a clean pan.) This is to prevent the cake from collapsing on its own weight as it is trying to reach a stable structure while its temperature is dropping.




I am upside downing........

Reactions:

0 Voices:

Post a Comment

    Followers

    Text Widget

    Powered by Blogger.